Friday, March 2, 2012

Mommy Guilt?

I have read a few posts lately on some blogs (first phrase out of mouth about 20x a day- Blogs are my social life right now) when I realized there were some that really hit home to where I am RIGHT NOW.  

The no sleep, tired of no sleep but started to get used to it phase.  I love babies, but I love them exponentially more with each hour of consecutive sleep that they get.

Check out their words (I am a reader, NOT a writer) they say it best.


Don't Seize the Day


"Being told, in a million different ways to CARPE DIEM makes me worry that if I'm not in a constant state of intense gratitude and ecstasy, I'm doing something wrong."


"Why is it that the second a mother admits that it's hard, people feel the need to suggest that maybe she's not doing it right?"


Reminiscing unfondly about Sleep Deprivation
"You might think you are inept at things, can't get it together, don't understand how other people actually do things.  It's not you, it's sleep."



"I’m sure I’ll miss my babies when they are grown (people always say you do). But here’s some food for thought: What if I don’t? I have an 11-year-old and while I occasionally feel pangs as he grows, I don’t miss him as a baby. Now he’s fun to talk to, has good taste in books and movies, can carry stuff, and knows how to make quesadillas. What’s to miss?"




Read and tell me your thoughts.   I would love to hear them.

2 comments:

Jenna Anderson said...

Brooke,
As moms we all feel guilty at times! That is totally normal. There is no instruction manual and it is a REALLY hard job! That being said, of course we love our kids and our job! I loved that Don't Carpe Diem article. It was awesome. As for sleep deprivation. It sucks. When I say things about not sleeping more seasoned moms always say something like, welcome to the next 18 years. Not encouraging! But MOST kids learn to sleep better as they get older and while living in a sleep-deprived haze, know you won't always feel that way.

However, I would say I love the baby phase so much more than my 4 and 5 year olds right now. Is that bad?! I am just a baby-lover. I can't get enough. That doesn't mean I am always patient with my baby either, though. I just love the first year! I of course love my older girls just as much for different reasons, but they are tough in their own ways!! I love seeing their personalities, the way their smart brains work and learn AND the more independence they gain. But along with that means they figure out how to be defiant and little stinkers!! So there are my thoughts. I can only imagine TWO babies at once is really hard. But just hang in there!! I know you are doing a great job! The boys are soooo sweet! I hope they start sleeping better soon!

Two Mittens said...

Looking back I would tell myself to do more things that made me happier.
I would have taken more breaks instead of feeling like I always had to be doing it all. (and maybe not let my husband off the hook/ride his bike so much ;p

I have found that it's so much less stressful now. I don't have to have my eyes glued on them every single second. They are great friends (when they're not bickering) and I can breathe much easier now! I love babies too, but turns out I love me some independence/sleep more!