Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mick's Point of View

Here are few free tips on immigrating to Calgary. If I had known this information before I got to the border, it would have saved Brooke and me a dreadful experience with the rookie immigration officer. Rookie officers have a reputation of doing intense integration. Ours was nothing short of a hybrid Nazi-Mountie, “Let’s try and save almighty Canada from all lazy American pukes,” every thing by-the-book attitude.
First off, pray for a veteran officer. They are less likely trying to score an A+ from superiors and they have already chewed up hundreds of immigrants and found that it takes way to much time away from surfing the net.
Second, be upfront and honest. All other stories and advice about crossing the border and staying discrete should be chucked out the window. The first words out of your mouth should be, “I am married to a Canadian.” My entry to Canada was hinged on this little piece of vital information.
Third, never assume. My rookie officer explained this very clearly in my second interview. In the first interview, he examined our passports and birth-certificates and asked, “Where did you meet?” Umm well.. “BYU-Idaho.” And then after a series of other questions about my house in Idaho, money in my account, have I been charged, convicted, arrested, constipated, etc, he said “ok—take a seat I’ll call you when I ready.”
So, I watched him tally up all my answers and scratch his head and fire build in his eyes. He called me up and asked why he should let me into Canada as a visitor, and I said well because I married a Canadian. What!!! “You didn’t disclose that piece of information in the first interview.” I stated. “Well I ASSUMED that after you examined our paper work and seeing that our last names are the same that was a given.” “In this job you never assume----Mr. Berry.”
Now that I am here with my lovely Brookito, I am shocked at $7.00 deodorant $8.00 value meals, and $4.50 for a gallon of gas. However, these are all insignificant now I am steps away from Lake Sundance to catch a delicious trout; a bike ride away from The Bow River which gives up 27 inch browns daily, skyscraper-hoping with Joel and having lunch with big oil tycoons, and finally wrapping the day up with a golf lesson to straighten out my hook on the six-iron.

Welcome to Canada!

Mick Berry



10 comments:

Our Family said...

Wow sounds really fun! Wes is taking golf lessons too. He's only had four lessons but we figured that as long as we live on a golf course he'd better learn how to play golf.

Unknown said...

we're glad to have you here

Ashley said...

I miss Calgary! I am so jealous of you guys! Brooke, still no new roof, but its comin'! Call me the next time you're headed down! Miss ya!

Becky Bevans said...

congratulations on crossing the border it is a major pain in the ****** you know. They are really interesting at the border but sounds like you found some great digs and you are coming into the best time of year it is beautiful up there. How are the babies??? Happy Mothers day to you and to Bree and your MOM :) Becky

ricksdl said...

We are so glad you two are happy! It sounds like you are going to love Canada Mick. Have fun!

ricksdl said...

We are so glad you two are happy! It sounds like you are going to love Canada Mick. Have fun!

ricksdl said...

I have no idea why or how I just posted two times... sorry

Chelsey said...

Hey Brooke, Welcome back to Calgary! I had no idea you were moving back! Hopefully we will see you guys around sometime soon! Take Care!

Anonymous said...

1000 facebook likes
buy facebook likes

http://www.msstudentlounge.com/Default.aspx?TabId=60&id=767 http://bradpaisley.com/tour/nashville-tn-cma-fest-2011-06-09
get facebook likes buy facebook likes get facebook likes
OH...And I have run 3 Virus scans and a defrag and its come up with nothing

1000 facebook likes buy facebook likes [url=http://1000fbfans.info]facebook likes [/url] buy facebook likes

Anonymous said...

Видео ютуб улётное http://youtu.be/knL93B57iiI
Прикольное видео секс http://youtu.be/X2sdWXysJIc
[youtube]knL93B57iiI[/youtube]
[youtube]X2sdWXysJIc[/youtube]
video youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/aeytovaresch/
Вот ещё прикольное Видео
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98evNvVR_3E

video Видео бесплатный просмотр онлайн роликов