Friday, June 10, 2011

Becoming a needle junkie

Starting on March 7th I began a medication called puregon, which basically stops your brain from controlling your hormones and shuts down your system so that the doctors can override it.  Its a nasal spray that you do 5 times a day.  Thinking nasal spray, I was excited because its not a needle!  But the 5 times a day gets a little brutal and its very time sensitive, so I would run out of meetings or mid meal with my mother, run to use my "sniffer".  After that begins to do its business, the injections begin.






March 22 2011 injections

Starting injections

When I first thought of injections my mind tends to distance itself
and not really think about it.  I figured it isn't that big a deal.  When
The pharmacist began explaining it to me I began to gag and freak
out.  I was not calm.


I decided to freak out instead about the things I can control. Aeroplan
Points.  There is a pharmacy inside the RFP clinic but you also have
the option to send it wherever you would like.  I chose to send it to my
local pharmacy where I get lots of airmiles and figured the positive 
outcome from this whole thing would be enough points to fly somewhere
cool!  However, the RFP clinic has all of the drugs in stock.  You have 
to order them 24 hours in advance at my pharmacy.  NO big deal right?  
Well I showed up at my first "base ultrasound" appointment today and
they managed to prescribe me the ONE brand that isn't covered by my 
insurance.  We are talking thousands of dollars here, so I asked if they 
would mind switching.  They didn't mind but I needed to start THAT DAY.
So I ended up picking up the smallest dose from the RFP pharm and ordering
the rest from the local pharm.  


I run down to the rfp pharmacy to get a gonal f pen. When I get the
instructions I feel squeamish about the needle. It has to be injected
at a 90 degree angle and the entire needle must be inserted. Nasty.

After I inject the first day it's not such a big deal.


Brooke

2 comments:

megan said...

You are tuff! I would have to talk myself into giving those shots and having to use the nasal spray. I am glad you were able to do it.

Alauna said...

That gives me the heebie jeebies....Yuck!