Wednesday, June 8, 2011

IVF Information Session - The Beginning of the Journey


At the Regional Fertility Program (RFP) in Calgary, all patients are required to attend an IVF information session prior to beginning their treatment.  I find that for women who are actually the people GOING THROUGH the whole procedure, we are fairly well researched.  For the men, however, I found they appreciated the knowledge and coming from a doctor telling you she will be bloated and moody, its definatley more reliable.  


We made the decision to do IVF and paid our $200 to be on the waiting list the week of Christmas.  Funny enough, the wait for the info session took the longest.  The ended up offering me treatment and then squeezing me into an earlier (full) session.

* Warning, these are my journal entries from the actual day they happened, and so emotional outbursts must be taken with a grain of salt*

Ivf info session -feb 24th 2011

I just waited 3 months to get in to a mandatory information session to
proceed with my in vitro process. I walked into the cramped university
auditorium and was shocked at just how many people were facing similar
fates to ours.

As I walked out the door I thought "I am just about to make the biggest
purchase of my entire life besides a house or car and its on something
everyone else gets for free, usually on accident, and doesn't always
want"

Aren't I lucky?

1 comment:

M said...

OMG that last paragraph sums up my thought process EXACTLY!

Makes me want to scream, cry and throw things at people....

I think emotional outbursts are one of the 'free gifts with purchase' that infertility brings, feel free to vent away!